Friday, September 2, 2011

Shots

Shots, shots, shots....EVERYBODY!!!

I wish I were talking about alcoholic beverages. It has been a full year since Carson last received shots and thank goodness it will be another year before he goes again.

He got 3 shots this morning...2 in one leg and 1 in the other. He had no clue what was coming because I know he doesn't remember his last ones a year ago. These were much much harder for him (when I say him I really mean me) because he is much stronger and harder to hold down and he was so sad afterwards crying real tears and asking why he had get the boo boo's.

Afterwards he perked up considerably when he got a sucker and sticker, but I know the poor little guy is sore. As we sit on the couch he pulls his shorts up every once in awhile to show me his sore boo boo's. I sent my mom a video text of the poor pathetic baby showing his boo boo's and telling her what happened and she called me within 30 seconds making sure her grandson was ok. Then she reminded me that I was the worst shot receiver when I was little. When I got old enough to understand she would have to lie to me about where we were going and all of sudden show up at the doctors office. I would freak out at that point, but she knew if I were told any earlier she probably wouldn't be able to get me in the car.

As much I hate taking Carson to get his shots, I know I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if he caught something that a shot would prevent. I know giving and getting shots are pretty controversial these days, so before Carson was born I asked a good friend and retired ER nurse what her opinions were on shots and all of the research people were doing. She handed me a book and said read it and then we can discuss it. This book was about families of children that choose not to get shots and they caught those "rare", but not so rare anymore, diseases. After crying though out the entire book and finishing it I made up my mind that I would vaccinate my children. I know several people that choose not to vaccinate and that is their choice, but my choice is to not take the chances that Carson catches something that could be prevented.

Heck, I still hate getting poked and pricked, but if it is to make sure I am healthy and new baby is doing well I will grit my teeth and do it. I have given little man a dose of Tylenol to help with the soreness and potential fever from the shots and I'm sure today will be a couch day. This prego Momma doesn't mind that at all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment